Monday, February 18, 2008

The Time of My Life!

Here's my report from Blue Jays Spring Training:

My flight arrived at Dunedin International Airport around 8am, which left me plenty of time to check into the Marriot Fairfield Inn. No mints on the pillows, just a card that said "thank you" (what a rip!). I headed off to Blue Jay Stadium, as the pitchers and catchers were reporting for Spring Training today. I was pulling my rented Chevy Malibu into the parking lot and I caught starting rotation ace Roy Halladay taking his equipment out of his trunk. We both agreed that his car was nicer, but hey, that's why he's the ace and I'm just a face. HAHAHAHA. Walking through the clubhouse the conversation seemed to focus more on the new Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue than the upcoming workout (boys will be boys).

After everyone had their chuckles, it was off to the field so shag some flys. I was surprised that the pitchers do this, because they don't play in the outfield, but BJ Ryan informed me that it helps with their coordination. Far be it from me to tell a major leaguer how to do his job. An intense stretching session followed. Dustin McGowan told me that he had been stretching all off-season so that he'd be ready for the spring training stretching. What a guy!

Popping over to see the catchers, I found they were engaged in a different exercise. New Blue Jay Rod Barajas was crab-walking from home to first base as fast as he could. This loosens up the knees and doing this now can really help come October. Veteran catcher Gregg Zaun was running from home plate to second base and back again. He stated that It helps him throw out stealers better if he can experience just how far the base is away from home. 17 loping strides he said.

Had a very nice dinner with commentator Jerry Howarth that night at the Sea Side Manor (one of the pan handle's finest fish shacks). Jerry recommended I get the mussels, and when Jerry says to get the mussels, you get the mussels. Jerry got his in a creole sauce, but I couldn't handle the spice, so I just stuck with my creamy leek. Afterwards, over a bottle of Lindemans Bin 65 (with fish? I know!) we talked about the Blue Jays middle relief, and both thought it was a relief to have some strong arms this year. Jerry doesn't usually drink white wine and said he was feeling a bit "fuzzy" so we called it a night. I walked along the promenade on my way home, which was abuzz with street performers. Dunedin is home to the world's largest busker festival, and I've never seen so many jugglers. I tipped every performer 5 dollars (hey, I'm not cheap) except for The Wonderful Twins, because I found their performance a little too racy for the minors in the crowd. After some pleasantries with the night time desk clerk it was off to bed. But not before catching the end of Matrix: Reloaded on TV (what a disappointment!).

Waking in the morning I enjoyed the complimentary continental breakfast in the lobby. While mowing down on my second danish I ran into John MacDonald's wife, who was taking her kids to Sea World for the day. She said the Killer Whales were so amazing last year that she had to check them out again, and recommended I do the same. I said that, regrettably, my flight was leaving in a few hours, but promised to see them next year (and you know what? I will). I arrived at the airport 3 hours before my flight because I was expecting to get hassled by customs, but things went smoothly thanks to the friendly service from Southwest Airlines. With some time to kill I bought some frozen yogurt at the TCBY stand and had a stirring conversation with the lady who runs the book store about whether or not she should be allowed to sell nude magazines in her store. I don't care if they have a concealing plastic cover on them, my kids could have been in here! Guess which side she was on?

I boarded the plane and fell asleep while watching Mean Girls (I'll have to rent it to see how it ended). My spring training odd-essey was over, but the season is just starting. So putting that feather in my hat, I move forward full of hopes and expectations of our first post season berth in 15 years. And as Vernon Wells told me "sometimes I order in, but if it's nice out, I'll go pick it up and save the delivery fee".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What? You couldn't make one joke about Greg Zaun taking steroids? NOT ONE?!?! Imagine what the guy would play like if he NEVER took steroids! Now THAT'S topical humour.