Saturday, March 22, 2008

HEARTBREAKER!!!!!!


It's over before it began.......

Friday morning I followed my normal game day routine. I awoke and ate a half bowl of honey bunches of oats (no milk), while flipping through the latest copy of The Gazeeler (Saint Mary's student newspaper). I always like to read Ron Charlies' column about the goings on in the athletic facility on campus. When done my cereal, I ironed all of my SMC jersey's, not picking which one I would wear until after I was done. With a few hours to game time, I jogged over to the nearby elementary school to play some pick-up with the kids on recess. I insisted that I get to be Mick McConnell. They agreed, and I spent the whole game sitting on the bench. Leaving the school I walked back home singing the school song:

"Let's all go to Saint Mary's way
Saint Mary's way
Saint Mary's way.
Let's all go to Saint Mary's way
they're my team, let's go!"

I got home, sat on the third cushion from the left, and was ready for the game. Call me superstitious, but this routine usually ends in a SMC victory.

But we didn't win. A disastrous second half left us on the outside looking in. Our boys just couldn't get it done, but I still gave them a standing ovation. After the game I headed to the Toronto branch of the Saint Mary's student pub (Tony's Hangout), and all the supporters and I shared some tears.

It's not easy being a Saint Mary's fan, there's been a lot of heartache over the years. But my resolve outweighs my disappointment, we'll be back next year, and I am guaranteeing a victory right now. The tournament is now over as far as I'm concerned.

No comments: